Thursday 4 June 2009

All hail Betsy the Ukulele


Today I went to go buy a keyboard, but there were no cheap ones. So I bought a ukulele instead. To be honest, it was probably the better buy. I've never played a uke before and I've always loved how happy they sound so I thought I'd get one.

This is her. Her name is Betsy. She kinda looks like a Betsy. She sounds lovely.

So far I've tried to have a go at 5 Years Time by Noah and the Whale (who I just found out has Laura Marling as a band member - no wonder the female voice sounded familiar!!). Also had a quick bash at Time of Your Life by Greenday.

The only one I've managed to play and sing to is Somewhere over the Rainbow in the style of Israel Kamakawiwo'ole, with the Wonderful World section thrown in, though I am less good at this. My rhythm is slightly more chilled and relaxed, with slaps instead of a 4th strum. Breaks it up a bit better and its easier to play that way. I am really enjoying it actually.

Found some tabs for one of my favourite songs at the minute, Skinny Love by Bon Iver, but I feel the uke might take away the sadness from the song. But who knows, I'll give it a shot.

Some things today have been very good and some have been desperately sad. I just hope that the bad things get better. I am a person of optimism, perhaps why I enjoy the happy clappy sounds of Betsy, so I always feel that things can surely only get better. I hope they can.

Also the non/semi/quasi/anti/possible date went really well. So a trip to the zoo is on the cards. I will try to restrain the zoologist within me, but I know its not going to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment